There are many ways to include a map within a blog post. Perhaps the most common method we see by bloggers is to include a screen capture, or perhaps a simple, Google Maps push-pin map – Yawn!! But for WordPress users, there’s a much better way to include professional looking, “live” maps and it can be done by using a free plug-in.
Web Maps for WordPress is available to all and can be easily used by anyone, however, users of ArcGIS Online will really get a bang out of this! To begin, from your WordPress blog dashboard go to add a new plug-in. At this point you will search the WordPress repository for “Web Maps” and then add it. Alternatively, get it directly from the WordPress.org repository at https://wordpress.org/plugins/web-maps-for-wp/
While editing pages or posts, you’ll now notice the addition of an “Add Map” button next to “Add Media”. The Add Map button is designed to provide WordPress users with a more streamlined process for embedding web maps in their pages and posts. While very similar to the Add Media button, Add Map puts millions of interactive maps at the fingertips of bloggers, website creators, media outlets and news organizations.
- Once a map has been selected, the user is presented with a variety of settings that can be configured before the map is embedded.
- Size, Show Zoom Control, Show Scale Bar, Show Legend, Show Description, Show Location Search, Show Basemap Selector, Show “View Larger Map” Link
- Set your own custom map extents and create a map marker to display.
- Embedded maps are fully interactive, which means that users can zoom in/out and identify features on the map.
- All visible data and capabilities exposed on each map layer are optionally controlled within ArcGIS Online by the map creator.
- For layers with pop-ups enabled, users can click on features to see additional information in a pop-up dialog.
- Additional map controls exposed to the user (scale bar, legend, etc.) are determined on the WordPress side by the map settings.
Not an ArcGIS Online user? That’s no problem. Using Web Maps you can search millions of interactive web maps using one or more keywords. All public web maps registered with ArcGIS Online that have a name or contain tags matching your keywords will be returned.
Learn more about webmaps for wordpress