ArcGIS Pro, which is part of ArcGIS Desktop, is the next step in the evolution of ArcGIS Technology from Esri. Users have access to ArcGIS Pro via the same organizational desktop license that they’ve always had. Pro is not really a new product, rather, it is new technology along with a new look and feel, new UI, and new capabilities.
ArcGIS Pro has been designed to work with your Web GIS and also works with Portal clients. Users can expect superior performance from Pro as well as access to much better cartography, symbology, georeferencing tools, and benefits of Web GIS like publishing dashboards directly within Pro and accessing a wealth of data directly via the Living Atlas and ArcGIS Online.
Some notable things about ArcGIS Pro:
- Pro gets automatically installed and is accessible to your org (see your license Admin)
- License is handled through ArcGIS Administrator
- Think of projects and .aprx files rather than map documents (.mxd)
- Project files can contain multiple maps, scenes (3D) and layouts
- Esri made it easy to migrate and import maps from mxd.
- New look ribbon-based user interface
- Display 3D cartography using multiple variables in 3D (cool)
- Pro can work in offline mode
For more information about Pro, migration tips, and 10 handy resources to help you make the switch to ArcGIS Pro see this blog post from Esri Business Partner, GEO Jobe GIS
See Also, 10 Things I like about ArcGIS Pro, by Chris North, Esri Canada