Summer is a great time to load up on those handy mobile travel apps. Just in time for Memorial Day and the unofficial kick-off of summer, Sprint has shared a few tips for road warriors. Taking a road trip this summer? Here are some suggestions:
- The TripIt trip planner helps you organize, plan and store all of your travel plans in one spot. Create a master travel itinerary with hotel, dining and shopping destinations, and access your itinerary planner on your mobile device – even share your updates on the road with friends.
- Hotels.com app lets you browse more than 157,000 hotels in more than 60 countries, store favorites, track rewards and make reservations directly from the app. Whether traveling last minute or planning a family getaway, you can read reviews and get the best deal for your location.
- Roadside America’s app is your one-stop shop for travel tools and guides to unusual attractions, tourist traps, weird vacations and road trip ideas. Have you always wanted to see a smiley face water tower or a giant bowler hat? This is your place for all the information. While you’re at it, make sure you are getting the best gas prices across the country with the Gas Buddy app, which will help you find cheap gas wherever you are.
- Download apps for Groupon, Living Social and other deal sites, where you can receive up-to-the-minute offerings at local restaurants, retailers and service providers. Or, download Bitehunter, which aggregates all the daily deals and provides up-to-the-minute details on discounts, restaurants and happy hours.
- If you’re interested in finding the most memorable dishes or the best burger in your town, you can find whatever you’re craving and see what’s good at any restaurant by downloading this visual guide to good food at Foodspotting. Read reviews, get customer ratings, see screenshots and more, wherever you go.
- Camping under the stars this summer, even in your own backyard, can involve countless hours of nighttime activities. GoSkyWatch Planetarium for your iPad is an easy-to-use astronomy app that lets you point your device at the sky and identify and locate stars, planets and constellations.
Toting an iPad along on your trip? I know for myself the iPad has become my most trusted travel companion! Some of the apps that I wouldn’t leave home without this summer include:
- Waze – sure, Waze if perfect for iPhone, however, there’s no reason not to have this amazing free mobile navigation and maps service on the app.. a must!
- TuneIn Radio – I like staying in touch with some great music. TuneIn lets me enjoy my local faves while I’m away and I can also tune in to my almost commercial free music as well
- Gmail for iPad – don’t miss any important emails from the boss or an important client! I always make sure that I have all my email forwarded to a trusty gmail account just in case!
- SkyScanner for cheap flights and more – Skyscanner is a fabulous way to search and book great deals on airfare… a bonus is the sleek, and simple to us UI
- Amazon Cloud Drive – is storage spae an issue on your iPad? IF so, be sure to setup your iphone and ipad to auto upload all your vacation pics to the cloud
- Foursquare – ya I know, I may not want to check in all the time but actually, checking in to all the places you stop on your vacation is a great way to build an archive of places you may likely forget about. Foursquare is also a great app for getting local tips and favorites from the local crowd
- Hotel Tonight – imagine driving into a town late at night and wanting a comfy bed. USe Hotel Tonight to score some sweet last minute deals on awesome 4 and 5 star hotels – a really nice iPad app here!