No huge surprise here as much of the story t esriuc2012 was indeed, ArcGIS online (AGO), or as Jack Dangermond might describe it, The mapping platform for your organization! We heard how ago is a ready to use, simple, cloud solution and is the ideal way to reach your users and potential users. AGO provides users and web administrators with effortless sharing via the web, mobile Internet, and even social media. So, why ArcGIS Online? We heard many compelling reasons while at conference this year, some of the main reasons as outlined by the AGO development team and other Esri experts includes:
- Allows you to easily go mobile
- Free downloadable ArcGIS apps
- Collaboration made easy
- Easily add data and put your data in the cloud … Think web enabled services from your data.
- Feature or tile services provide a fast, smooth user experience
- ArcGIS Online provides users and publishers with tools that help maintain ownership
- Data publishers have the option of private or public data sharing via a robust environment to manage security and data ownership
- Publishers and webmap administrators have access to a wealth (understatement) of data and content
- Various levels of administration is enabled for users and content publishers enabling the definition of users as Administrator, publisher, or users
- Your published web service is scalable and can easily support unexpected spikes in traffic that could otherwise crash your system – see billing/license model for more information on this.
In the words of Esri founder and president, Jack Dangermond, from the UC opening plenary, ArcGIS online will amplify geography and with it Esri is Providing geography as a platform.
See more at https://www.arcgis.com/about/
and explore at http://www.arcgis.com/explorer/