Jobs, Jobs, Jobs… there’s no question that landing a new job, particularly in geo Tech, can be a daunting task, however, the future does seem to be bright, particularly for those of you who are “professional” and who have the skills and tools at your disposal that employers are seeking. Indeed, for the newcomer fresh out of school things are tough, likely never tougher. For the experienced professional though there are TONS of opportunities out there… keep in mind though, there’s TONS of competition also, particularly from those that are gainfully employed but simply looking for a better, more attractive opportunity – people are transient and mobile these days and you have to be prepared to pull the trigger fast if you plan to score that dream job.
I visit loads of corporate websites while researching articles, scouring the web for press and looking for contact information. typically, out of curiosity, I’ll take a peek at the Careers tab on most websites and something I’ve noticed on most Geo Tech company websites (small, med, and large corps) there’s loads of job opportunities out there. Roles for junior techs are relatively slim, however, for the skilled developer, analyst, project manager, there’s plenty of opportunities so keep looking and stay positive. A random search of 10 small-med sized GIS related company websites recently revealed to me that EVERY one of the sites I visited had Job opportunities listed! Here’s just a few that I spotted…
- Safe Software, Vancouver, BC – Safe has several opportunities including the need for a developer, systems admin., and account manager
- Skygone (think Cloud solutions) – The team has several opportunities in Redlands CA, Columbus Ohio and the DC area
Openings for Sales execs, tech support, and business development
- SpatialNetworks, Tampa FL – Geo developers and creators of the Fulcrum mobile data collection app has a number of positions including:
Android Mobile Application Developer; Software Engineer, Ruby on Rails; Mobile Application Developer; Product Marketing Manager; Internships – Part-Time/Full-Time
- Juniper Systems, Logan Utah – The team is always expanding and currently has several openings
- Latitude Geographics, Victoria, BC Canada – The company has grown substantially over the past couple of years and is always in search of top notch programmers and developers. The company is located in the heart of Victoria, on the beautiful inner harbor in an amazing office space.
Currently the crew is looking for developers, sales reps, and a project manager
Good luck Job Seekers, and don’t forget to keep checkin in at our own GISuser Career Center, there’s always plenty of fresh opportunities