Interesting on this Remembrance Day / Veteran’s Day how social media is helping to spread the word and help people share and remember the fallen heroes. I noticed on the Canada Veterans website that they have encouraged people to take advantage, use, share, and mashup the resources (text, images, video) that they make available. They ask that you remember, share, and link back to the website at http://www.veterans.gc.ca
The Canadian veteran’s resource can also be found and followed on Twitter @veteransENG_ca and the hashtags #remember and #lestweforget are also being used on 11/11. In the US the official web resource for Veteran’s Day providing numerous resources and powerful stories is at http://www.va.gov/opa/vetsday/
Some interesting ideas are provided in their challenge for others to share :
- Pin a poppy above your heart.
- Attend the local Remembrance Day ceremony.
- Talk to a friend or relative who has just returned home from Afghanistan or who served in other areas of conflict.
- Listen to Veterans talk about their experiences.
- Create a mashup and share it on the YouTube Channel
- Visit the Veterans Affairs Canada Facebook fan page, write on our wall and share how you remember.
- Follow Veterans Affairs Canada on Twitter and tweet about how you remember
- Change your Facebook profile picture to a poppy.
- Blog, tweet or update your Facebook status about the importance of remembrance.