Some useful tips from AT&T as another hurricane season approaches. On the bright side, experts are predicting a relatively mild storm season for 2011 – let’s cross our fingers! AT&T offers the following recommendations for consumers and small business owners in preparation for this year’s hurricane season.
- Be sure you have a “hurricane phone.”
- Have a family communication plan in place.
- Program all of your emergency contact numbers and e-mail addresses into your mobile phone.
- Keep your wireless phone batteries charged at all times.
- Keep your wireless phone dry.
- Forward your home number to your wireless number in the event of an evacuation.
- Track the storm and access weather information on your wireless device.
- Camera phones provide assistance.
- Take advantage of location-based mapping technology.
Small Business Tips:
- Set up a call-forwarding service to a predetermined backup location.
- Protect hardware/software/data records/employee records, etc.
- Outline detailed plans for evacuation and shelter-in-place plans.
- Assemble a crisis-management team and coordinate efforts with neighboring businesses and building management.
- Consider a back-up cellular network.
For more about AT&T and their storm preparation plans see HERE