There’s no question that some of the coolest and innovative GPS-enabled mobile apps have come out of the sports and recreation industry. GPS devices bundled with fine basemap data and user generated content like GPS tracks, photos, and video and such a pefect complement and make for some fun moments for sharing – heck, there’s even some interesting enterprise-scale uses that can be adopted from the technology. So, it was cool to see details of the mobile apps from Vail resorts announced this week – enter EpicMix, a New Online and Mobile Application, Allowing Skiers and Riders a Seamless and Effortless Way to Digitally Capture and Share Their Mountain Experience.
Taking advantage of RF technology used at the resort(s) lift equipment, skiiers taking to the monthain with RF chips in their lift passes are now leaving a trail behind them enabling some interesting data uses. Some of the features provided by EpiMix:
- EpicMix will allow guests to track vertical feet skied and days on the mountain.
- EpicMix enables guests to share their experiences with family and friends on Facebook and Twitter.
- EpicMix will recognize special achievements by rewarding guests with collectible digital pins.
- The free EpicMix mobile app will alert guests when their Facebook friends are on the mountain, and can be used to send private messages to meet up.
- An EpicMix site for kids will feature special content and privacy restrictions.
EpicMix will allow guests to share their statistics and accomplishments through updates on Twitter and Facebook and guests can create special EpicMix leader boards with their Facebook friends – AWESOME!Note: the technology is available to skiiers at the following Vail Resort destinations: Vail, Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Keystone and Heavenly.