Come along for a 4 minute ride in the Topcon mobile data collection vehicle. At the ESRIUC we had the pleasure of connecting with the team from Topcon who graciously took me on an interesting 3D Mobile Mapping ride & drive, giving us a first-hand look at how the company collects accurate, 3D mapping data “simply” by driving the streets in a vehicle equipped with some pretty impressive hardware!
While driving around San Diego, CA. the vehicle constantly gathers data (360 degrees) to generate 3D point cloud data that can then be combined with georeferenced imagery to then generate a rich, colorful, high-resolution 3D field scene for use in enterprise GIS apps. According to the company, the data, once collected, can then be readily exported to .SHP format for subsequent use within ArcGIS or ArcPad via a hand-held GPS enabled device.
About the IP-S2 mobile mapping system:
- The IP-S2 is a modular plug&play system that combines 360 degree digital imagery and laser scanning, providing the end user with a detailed 3D point cloud data and georeferenced imaagery. The IP-S2 is a combination of:
- geo referenced, high def LiDAR
- 360 degree camera for spherical image capture
- dual frequency GNSS tracking
- high accuracy 6-axis IMU integration
- external wheel en coders for odometry and tracking
- fast, simple setup
- ideally suited for utilities, transportation uses, and GIS asset management