I captured this video a couple of weeks ago, but in case you missed it here it is… enjoy! A special treat as I unbox the Nokia N97 S60 smartphone (S60 5th edition). The N97 is very comfortable, has awesome sound and video capabilities, 5 MP camera, TONS of memory, touch UI, QWERTY (tilt), integrated with Ovi and much more!
I’m likely most excited about the whopping 32 GB of internal flash memory… oh, and you can also expand that with another 16GB via MicroSD card. The integrated GPS accompanied by a bonus inclusion of a magnetometer means that some exciting location-aware applications will eventually support this device. Speaking of mobile LBS apps, the addition of the new Nokia Maps 3 with turn-by-turn directions, friendly walking directions, satellite imagery and more mean that there’s no need for any N97 user to also have to pay for an additional PND service and device in the vehicle. I’m also excited about hearing that the N97 is being tied to the concept of ‘social location’ ie. sharing content that your capturing and creating with others via your social networks, all tied to your location as well… this is indeed what people want.
Other items that get me excited about the N97 include:
– full slide out QWERTY keyboard… ever since using a Nokia e71 I’ve been hooked on the QWERTY… this is great to see.
– sports S60 5… this would be my first look at an S60 5 device.
– shutter lens on the camera… I haven’t seen this since the original N95 but I know loads of people, including yours truly, will appreciate the return of this to the design (small things can make a big difference)
– Touch UI… to date I’m simply not a fan of the iPod although the option of having touch navigation is awesome… having another way to navigate around the device is a real treat. I’ve seen loads of “traditional media” touting touch as “THE finally here” capability of this device, however, I don’t see it that way. It’s going to be great to have that capability but its definitely not THE main selling point.
– the HUGE screen, similar to the Communicator (see Nokia E90) will make web browsing, watching video and mobile TV a real treat, not to mention all that real estate when working via mobile on office applications.
– full integration with the Ovi service… this has been promised and is something I’ve been waiting for, perhaps this will be the device that actually delivers a great experience along with Ovi… we can only hope!
– size.. indeed it is a bit large
– price and availability… unfortunately for us in the USA we get late access to all these cool devices and none of the carriers offer them so forget about a subsidized N97
I’ve been a long-time power user of the Nokia N95 (8GB) and so the N97 is a natural next step for those of us looking to “upgrade”.