Forum Nokia has announced the finalists in the Calling All Innovators global contest for developers – Calling All Innovators challenged developers to think in new ways about the opportunity to affect the quality of human life with mobile applications. The contest featured three distinct categories for submissions: ECO-Challenge, Emerging Markets Challenge, Technology Showcase. The following are some of the cool apps to be selected as finalists:
– GreenDrive (EMEA) – An application that promotes vehicular fuel efficiency by sensing current and impending road conditions that influence fuel consumption and providing real-time driving directions for the shortest route in the quickest time legally allowable.
– Ticketek Mobile Ticketing (Americas) – A Series 40 and S60 Java event-ticketing application that reduces paper consumption by allowing consumers to use a barcode stored on their phone to gain admission to events.
– Green Phone (APAC) – An S60 application maximizing battery life through improved regulation of device backlight, WLAN, Bluetooth and charger power consumption.
– TigerMap (China) – An eco-friendly city guide application that makes choosing public transportation easier, combining up-to-the-minute mass transit information with recommendations of the best restaurants, entertainment, hotels and shopping in more than 150 cities throughout China.
-mPedigree (EMEA) – This application allows users to text-message at no cost a quality-authentication code found on the packaging of anti-Malarial and other medications to a provisioned mobile shortcode in order to guard against counterfeit drugs believed to be responsible for an alarming number of deaths, especially in the developing world.
– DigitallCS (Digital Internal Control System) (Americas) – With this application, agricultural co-ops can inspect the growing practices of their members and upload the data to a website for reporting and analysis in order to verify the growers’ adherence to standards that include Fair Trade Certified and Certified Organic.
– Nano Ganesh (APAC) – This application allows farmers in India to establish remote contact with distant, modem-equipped electric irrigation pumps, to check on power supply and pump operation without the need to travel long distances
– PhotoMap (EMEA) – This application digitizes and stores a photograph of any fixed public map taken with a camera phone for easy access, browsing and geo-referencing on the mobile device.
– kReader Mobile (Americas) – This multi-language text-to-speech application with cross-language translation capabilities uses the camera phone to digitize any book, letter, receipt or other printed document and translate the captured text into audio that is “read” back to the user.
– Neuscreen (APAC) – This application utilizes the drawing, touch-screen and camera functionalities of a Nokia N95 device connected to a normal television set to track the motion of a simple pen light and enable “virtual” drawing, as well as projection and manipulation directly on the TV screen of images stored on the mobile device.
– X Dancery (China)- This application, fully optimized for the S60 5th Edition’s touchscreen UI and motion sensor technology, and with advanced 3D-graphics rendering capabilities, analyzes any MP3 file to automatically generate a unique tempo-based game for each selected musical track.