The busy holiday travel season is now upon us and with that comes extreme weather… you know it always happens that way! And so, road warriors need to be prepared and need to be able to get notifications of weather related incidents in order to plan accordingly. The following are some of the more popular and useful weather notification apps to consider:
Like many of the readers here, I’m into maps, mapping technology and anything location-aware it seems. A recent visit to the California HQ of HERE (think Nokia maps) provided me with a glimpse inside the company and an up close look at the technology they use to create and deliver such an awesome in-vehicle mapping experience.
The United States Forest Service (USFS) fights wildfires and other natural disasters in more than 155 national forests and 20 national grasslands, totaling an estimated 193 million acres or 30% of all federally-managed lands. Every year thousands of acres of forests are engulfed in fires. Recognizing the benefits of geospatial technology, the USFS GMO has included Avenza System Inc.’s award-winning PDF Maps mobile app in order to deliver interactive digital maps to fire fighters and emergency response teams situated in forests across the United States and its territories.
Via Amazon (sorry but i can’t verify how long this price will last) here’s an unlocked Lumia smartphone for less than $70 – and you can get free shipping using Prime or a free Prime delivery trial. The Lumia devices (think Nokia) have a pretty decent camera, pleasant UI, and the Lumia maps and music services are downright awesome! The device is unlocked and can be used on most carriers. Gorilla corning glass protects the device, however, they can break, I know this as we lost one recently to an accidental drop so to be safe you should case it!
A New Voice Mobility Service from Comcast Blends Traditional Office Phone Lines with an App that Provides Anytime, Anywhere Access from Mobile Phones. Comcast Business Voice Mobility is designed for employees whose jobs require them to work outside of an office but want to stay connected to their business phone line at all times, using a single phone number.
Looking for a fine, Android WorldPhone solution?? Look no more… oh, andit starts at just $199! Obi and Ammunition celebrate the launch of Obi Worldphone SF1 & SJ1.5 smartphones at Autodesk Gallery in San Francisco. Obi Worldphone co-founder John Sculley, former head of Apple and Pepsi-Cola and an international investor in consumer tech companies, and Robert Brunner, founder and partner in the world-acclaimed Ammunition design firm collaborated to create elegant design at attractive prices for select markets the world over. Introducing them is Satjiv Chahil, Global Marketing & Innovations Advisor to Obi. See more about the device in the official launch PR
Here’s a gadget tip for any of you that work in remote forests, urban jungles, dry desert regions, or isolated wetland areas – the Trimble Nomad® 1050 series of handheld. These ultra-rugged and field-proven handhelds are ideal for carrying out GIS data collection and inspection activities just about anywhere.
Some of the key featured include:
- Work productively in challenging environments on ultra-rugged IP68-rated handhelds that meet rigorous MIL-STD-810G military standards
- Work for longer in the field with the 15 hour battery life that provides continuous use, even in cold temperatures
- Process field data faster with a powerful 1 GHz processor
- Store substantial amounts of data and images with the Nomad’s 8 GB of built-in storage plus 512 MB Ram
- Maintain field compatibility with your back-office apps using the latest Microsoft® Windows® Embedded Handheld version 6.5 operating system
- Capture high resolution images for maintenance and repair applications with the 5 megapixel integrated camera with flash and geo-tagging capabilities
- Easily track assets using the optional 1D/2D integrated barcode scanner
- Connect from the field back to the office via an optional integrated 3.75G dual-band GSM/CDMA wireless cellular modem with internal cellular antenna
Keywords: Trimble, Nomad, GPS, rugged, mobile, data collector
Some new research on trends in mobility… According to Forrester, there will be one billion smartphone consumers by 2016, with 257 million smartphones and 126 million tablets in the U.S. alone. Businesses will implement the following five trends in response to this mobile movement, transforming how we experience shopping, business collaboration, travel and marketing.
1. Ultra-Personalization in Mobile Marketing: Businesses will capture a user’s context to create better results for marketing campaigns by ensuring that every customer, worker and supplier is hyper-productive and engaged. [Read more…] about 5 Trends and Future of Enterprise Mobility Includes Geography
An interesting update for those of you in need of Survey Grade Precision for Field Workers and Data Management Tools for your GIS Department.
An interesting request from the Cincinnati City Manager… City Manager Harry Black is asking Cincinnati drivers to join the campaign to “Be a Pothole Spotter.” from the news post – “We’re in primetime pothole season. The ground’s thawing up, and cars are hitting potholes all over town. We need everyone to tell us about these potholes so that we can fix them as quickly as possible,” Black said.