So sad that we have to be watching yet another cowardly and senseless attack on freedom and on innocent people – thoughts are wish all the fine people of Paris! You may be curious as to the geospatial extent of the cowards so we share this map of locations of what has been confirmed (as of Sat Nov 14). See more on CityLab
There’s no doubt that GeoGeeks like beer and the BeerGeek in me also digs maps so when you combine beer + maps you definitely have a winner – enter BreweryMap! This awesome service does a great job at mapping all the breweries in north America – and then some! Search an area and voila, using the Google maps API you are presented with all the hits as pins on a map. Click a pin to reveal the brewery logo, address, directions, and a link directly to their website. the site also provides routing capabilities so you can bplan a road trip or pub crawl – nice! Finally, what’s way cool about this service is the awesome built-in sharing capabilities so you can easily share your favorite finds via twitter or facebook. Brewery owners will also love the very simple embed code that is provided so they can easily embed a map to their location for all to see – nice touch! Well done to the developers here and kudos to them on also providing android and iOs apps as well (the HD app for iPad is sweeeet!) – Check it out at http://www.brewerymap.com – Cheers!
Developers, See also, BreweryDB, a fully moderated, open library of breweries and beers from all around the world, a great resource to power your beer apps!
How do you increase awareness about the important topic of Bullying… you create a heat map naturally! Indeed, that’s exactly what one savvy youngster from Virgina has been doing via a project know ass BullyVention.
Oh yes, I love art… I also love music too, heck, who doesn’t right? Well, I know you GeoGeeks and music lovers will really dig this one as we stumble onto yet another amazing cartographic product that quite simply will make you say WOW – enter the Music Map. Deisgned by the crew at Dorothy, the map is a a fictional Music Town with places and street names penned from popular tunes – imagine walking down the Highway to Hell! Oh and the map also has an accompanying Spotify list too – sweet! See more over on NME and thanks to @mcg_h for the Tweet!
Song Map is available for purchase from Dorothy – About the Map – The print, which was inspired by our own unhealthy obsession with music, is for fellow music geeks and includes an A-Z key listing all featured songs along with the names of who sang them. And we’ve set up a playlist on Spotify to accompany the Map providing 23 hours worth of music.
Some new numbers crunched by the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) and 2012 tallies reveal even more monthly weather records set than the 3,251 records smashed in 2011, with record-breaking heat, rainfall and snow events catalogued by State – Top Ten States — CO, IL, IN, MD, ME, MN, NV, TN, WI, WV — to be Highlighted in the findings. In 2012, Americans experienced several unforgettably devastating extreme events. Climate scientists say these types of events are fueled by climate change:
- 2012 was the warmest year ever recorded in the US, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s (NOAA) State of the Climate report released last Tuesday.
- Hurricane Sandy’s storm surge height, 13.88 feet, broke the all-time record in the New York Harbor, and ravaged communities across New Jersey and New York with floodwaters and winds.
- The summer of 2012 was the worst drought in 50 years across the nation’s breadbasket, with over 1,300 US counties across 29 states declared drought disaster areas.
- The hottest March on record in the contiguous US, and July was the hottest single month ever recorded in the lower 48 states.
- Wildfires burned over 9.2 million acres in the US, and destroyed hundreds of homes.
- NOAA has estimated that 2012 will surpass 2011 in aggregate costs for U.S. annual billion-dollar disasters, in large part due to the trails of destruction from Superstorm Sandy and the yearlong drought.
- See more details HERE