So, you’re ready to add a handy, home digital assistant to the family. Doing so will put Internet search, weather data, music, news, sports scores and more just a voice command away. But which one? Amazon has Alexa and for those of you that are addicted to the Prime service (I love it) then Alexa and the Echo Dot is likely a first choice for you. However, if you happen to be a Google fanatic (and Chromecast user) then the Google Digital Assistant is for you.
You have a couple of choice for securing your first assistant. You can shop directly at Google, or hit up a retail partner like Best Buy – don’t bother searching Amazon for a Google Home! Then you need to decide, Google Home or Home mini (think lite)
Google Home Mini – Get hands-free help in any room. Google Home Mini is powered by the Google Assistant, so you can ask it questions and tell it to do things. Just start with “Ok Google” to get answers from Google, tackle your day, enjoy your entertainment, and control your smart home. And when you ask for help, it can tell your voice from others for a more personalized experience. Google Home Mini works on its own or you can have a few around the house, giving you the power of Google anywhere
Google Home, a voice-activated speaker powered by the Google Assistant. Use voice commands to enjoy music, get answers from Google and manage everyday tasks. Google Home is compatible with Android and iOS operating systems, and can control compatible smart devices such as Chromecast or Nest.
Regardless which way you go, have fun!
A powerful little helper
- Get hands-free help in any room with Google Home Mini. It’s powered by the Google Assistant. You can ask it questions. Tell it to do things. It’s your own personal Google.
- Get answers from Google
- Use your voice to quickly find information about the weather, news, sports and more.
- “Hey Google, will I need an umbrella today?”
- Manage your day from breakfast to bed
- Get help with things like your schedule, commute, travel information and more.
- “Hey Google, wake me up at 6:30 AM tomorrow.”
- Play, pause and rewind. Hands-free
- Control your favorite music, movies and shows, using only your voice.¹
- “Hey Google, play some pop music.”
- Control your smart home
- Use your voice to control your compatible lights, thermostats and more.
- “Hey Google, turn off the bedroom lights.”
- Your voice. Your info
- Get personalized responses for everyone at home with voice recognition.²
- “Hey Google, when is my first meeting tomorrow?”
- Choose between different colors
- Google Home Mini comes in two unique colors, Chalk and Charcoal. Select the right color that matches your room and personal style.