Here’s a little end of the week fun… Dating a geek can have its perks [and a few pitfalls]. For example, you won’t have to worry about getting over-caffeinated when they say they need to work with some Java. Remembering the name of that awesome bar or restaurant you visited a few years ago won’t be an issue because chances are good that he or she has record of it in a Checkin with Foursquare, Google plus or facebook (a real geek will have a GeoRSS feed that pulls all those checkins into a web service). And don’t fret about having access to gadgets and computing power because you’ll have more technology kicking around than you could ever know what to do with. So you might wonder, what about the GeoGeek? What could possible be the perks of dating a Geo professional? Well, after reading a similar article that looked at the pluses of marrying a real estate professional I decided to take a similar look at the GeoGeek.
And so, here’s just 10 perks of dating or marrying a GeoGeek:
- The coffee table will never be without a sweet coffee table book because you’ll have plenty of large Atlases and Esri Map Books lying around
- Your laptop/netbook will be a head turner thanks to the endless supply of geeky Stickers you have plastered all over it.
- Getting anything at all scanned and printed on any size or kind of media will never be a problem
- Your kids will always have access to the latest, coolest, fastest computer technology
- You’ll have a way better time than any of your friends when you go camping, hiking, skiing, snowshoeing and doing pretty much any outdoor activity because you’ll have the most up to date maps, charts, National Park materials, GPS enabled devices, and supporting documents.
- You don’t have to worry about him driving around endlessly and not asking for directions… he’ll figure it out!
- One more holiday to celebrate each year than your friends – GIS Day
- Your spouse will always know how to lock down your location / privacy settings on your smartphone
- Responding to the question “What do you do for a living” will never be a one word answer, it will always be a lengthy conversation that will eventually end in something like…” oh, like Google Maps…?”
- People will automatically assume that since your job sounds so cool that you make a TON of money!BONUS: Annual tag along Vacation to San Diego and bonus, endless supply of geeky T shirts!
Are you dating a GeoGeek / Geo Professional? What perks do you get?