Indeed a shocking stat out of research from IDC revealing huge numbers for Android mobile OS after 4 years… So get this, according to the International Data Corporation (IDC) Worldwide Quarterly Mobile Phone Tracker, total Android smartphone shipments worldwide reached 136.0 million units, accounting for 75.0% of the 181.1 million smartphones shipped in 3Q12. The 91.5% year-over-year growth was nearly double the overall market growth rate of 46.4% – wow! Keep in mind though that iOS devices came quite late in the quarter
Some industry highlights:
- Android, having topped the 100 million unit mark last quarter, reached a new record level in a single quarter.
- OS was a distant second place to Android, but was the only other mobile operating system to amass double-digit market share for the quarter.
- BlackBerry‘s market share continued to sink, falling to just over 4% by the end of the quarter.
- Symbian posted the largest year-on-year decline of the leading operating systems
- Windows Phone marked its second anniversary with a total of just 3.6 million units shipped worldwide
- Linux volume declined for the third straight quarter