There’s been loads of updates and cool, fun stuff to share this past week in the GeoTech world. The following is a small sampling of some of the most popular features and posts that we’ve shared this past week.. enjoy!
- We’ve all heard of the popular geoTech book titled “How to Lie With Maps” - there’s a real-life scenario playing out in B.C, Canada involving the proposed Enbridge Northern Gateway Pipeline project and the effort of planners to manipulate and/or deceive the public by “Lying” with maps.
- Top Social Media and HTML5 Considerations for Mobile App Success – Find out about two of the hottest topics surrounding mobile app development right now–social media and HTML5.
- Mobile Indoor Positioning on Android With Wifarer at The Royal B.C Museum, Canada – Here’s a first look and video of some “killer” indoor mobile positioning using the Wifarer app on Android at a local museum.
- Webinar – Safe Software Webinar What’s New in ArcGIS 10.1 Data Interoperability Extension – Discover how core areas have been streamlined, making data transformation easier. Tuesday, August 21 at 8am PDT / 11am EDT / 3pm GMT / 5pm CEST
- Create Your Own Watercolor Basemap With Stamen Tools
- Everyone loves maps, particularly the GeoGeek, but there’s also some amazing map art out there and when you think of maps and art you have to also think about the amazing stuff that comes from Stamen
- Instagram 3.0 Gets Maps - I know a few of you out there (like me) are Instagram nuts, errr users. Well, good news if you happen to be a GeoGeek this week and a lover of Instagram as the service has [finally] announced photo maps – a natural UI for viewing your photos.
- USGS Looking at New Ways to Map Structures in Colorado
- In light of swiftly changing technical landscapes and increasing uses of social networking, the USGS is exploring a new approach to the volunteer program,
- How to Write an Effective Press Release in One Hour – Some handy tips for small business owners, PR professionals, and those simply needing help in developing a professional, effective press release. These tips from PRbuzz are helpful and bang on.
- 10 Useful Twitter add Ons For the Business User - Sure Twitter is cool. but what about making it even cooler and more useful? Here’s a small sampling of just 10 add-on apps that can make your Twitter experience even more productive for your business.
- Video Online EDU at Penn State – Interested in online, post grad EDU in GIS and GeoTech? If so have a gander at this video we shot last month with Anthony Robinson of Penn State U. Not only do they have the traditional GIS program but many other offerings including programming and there’s free training options and more.. pretty impressive offerings
- Take The Laser Technology GIS Challenge – An interesting promo from Laser Technology – the ArcPad Challenge! This from Laser Technology… Anyone who has a basic understanding of ArcPad’s workflow can map features and collect attribute data faster and easier with minimal training
Have a great week-end all! @gletham