The DMP team (Digital Map Products) recently attended the GITA GIS in Oil & Gas event in Texas and have shared a short blog post to recap some of their favorite moments. Of interest, they note an impressive, packed session on Google in the Oil & Gas Industry and provided some valuable feedbakc on their own technical session, The Cloud Revolution: Leveraging Cloud Computing for GIS Success. they go on to share a summary of their Cloud GIS success tips:
- Tip #1: New GIS users are a different breed – understand what they are trying to do
- Tip #2: Invest your development time making the technology work for your users, not making the technology work. With the cloud you can find solutions that take care of making the technology work!
- Tip #3: Choose the right cloud provider and beware of impostors
- Tip #4: Build a solid foundation for your Cloud GIS application with data that’s current and relevant
- Tip #5: Be Obsessed with Performance – don’t let your app fall prey to “loading map syndrome”
- Tip #6: Don’t wait for perfection. Cloud GIS is evolving. It’s best to get started and add on data, functionality and users as you go. Remember, a big benefit of the cloud is scalability!